There will be an interior designer behind every beautifully designed space. Being an interior designer, are you looking to start your own interior design business. Then you have reached the right place.
Because it’s tough to start an interior design business. Especially, in this saturated market with lots of competition, it’s highly difficult to withstand. But we are here to help you in figuring out this problem.
You know starting a business could be a little tricky. But we hope these few tips help you in some manner.
While starting an interior design business follow these 10 steps to get succeed:
1. What services you’ll offer – One should have clarity about it.
Before starting the business you need to get clarity about your services. Just like whether you want to design for living rooms or hall or kitchens & baths or you want to décor offices only. Being an interior designer you should know that you should not take more projects than you handle. At the same time, before taking the projects you should make clear to the client about your work in which field you will work.
2. Focus on your style – makes you stand out of the crowd.
Everyone had their style, and we must tend to excel at which we are best. If you are passionate about working on modern style or if in rustic style or traditional, this is what you need to focus on.
It doesn’t mean that you need to only take on clients who want to share your style. Instead of that when you’re starting an interior design business, first start targeting your ideal clients.
These are the few questions you need to ask yourself:
• In which design style you want to work?
• Do you want to focus on bigger homes or offices? (or both!)
• Do you want to design homes for families or just for couples?
• Whether do you want to décor indoor or outdoor spaces or both?
• What do you want to design only a living room or hall or kitchens & baths?
Once you figure out answers for these questions, you get where you want to be. Just find your style, find your niche and you will easily attract the right people for you.
3. Find a catchy business name & register it – Being catchy attracts the eyes
Now the real fun, the real task begins! For starting a business first you need to come up with a name. It’s just not enough to simply find a name. It should be catchy and need to reflect your work, your style. While selecting the name these are the few things to keep in mind:
• First of all, don’t make it too complicated.
• Never choose words which are hard to pronounce
• If you want you can even include your name to (e.g., Jessica interiors)
• Use words which can go well with interior design(e.g., designs, spaces, interiors etc.)
• The foremost thing is to make sure that no one else had already used your name
If once you have chosen your business name, you need to register it with your province. Meanwhile, make sure that you have got all the licenses required by the law for starting your business. So that you no need to face any troubles later on.
4. Create a beautiful website – a reflection of your services
Being an interior designer, you create beautiful spaces, so when you are about to start an interior design business, you must need a website which matches to your career. For this, you need to hire a professional web developer or you can do on your own.
Image source: Create a beautifull website
If you want to do on your own, you need to follow these things:
• First, register a domain name & web hosting.
• Next, install Word Press ( or any other platform)
• Install a good theme
• Use attractive images while designing your website
• Provide appropriate information like services, contact info etc.
• Include testimonials
It takes some time to build a website. Only promote your website when it is ready. Don’t do anything in hurry burry. Because you know well that “slow and steady wins the race”
5. Prepare your portfolio: Reflection of your work
You might be thinking that you are about to start your interior design business, so how could you have anything to put in your portfolio. So don’t worry you don’t need a huge portfolio at the beginning of your career. But yeah you can keep the work you have done in your college projects. In case if you have images of spaces that you have designed for your home can also be included.
Image source: Build your portfolio
6. Set your charges: Plays a major role to attract
When you are ready to start your business, just do some homework before. It’s like how much the other designers charge for the work? If you any interior designer friends/ colleagues you can ask them. Don’t forget to ask about their experience?
You can see different types of rates like:
• They charge per hourly
• Charge for overall work
• The cost per square foot
So once you finished with your charges, you need to write it on the agreement and have signed with your clients to seal the deal.
7. Promote your business – simply do marketing
Once you are done with creating a gorgeous website you need to promote it. But you should remember that at first the clients just won’t find your website randomly with Google search. So you need to pay more attention to promoting your website and services.
Image source: Promote your business
Let’s see how to promote your website:
• The foremost thing is being active on social media
• Go for paid ads (but the budget should not blow out)
• Get business cards
• Ask your friends and families to share and spread the website
• Join associations, groups etc.
Simply think like a digital marketer and make perfect strategies to promote your website.
8. Start your blog: express your work through writing
After setting up your website and promotions, you should look forward to starting a blog. Maybe you are not a writer. But this is the place to post about your designs tips, design trends- or anything related to your work. While writing you need to keep certain things in your mind:
• Content should be relevant to interior design
• It should be interesting
• It should provide useful information to readers
• Should be SEO optimized
• Readers must be satisfied with what you wrote
Created a blog and posted something is just not enough. You need to post regularly, not like once every 3 months or 4 months. Because potential clients can easily find that you are not consistent.
9. Get a dedicated workspace for your interior design business
One more important thing, workspace. You should focus on creating a beautiful and pleasant workspace for yourself. You can enjoy your work on your coach, but you can be more productive with having a dedicated workspace.
Make sure that you have these for your space:
• Enough storage
• Good lighting
If you have a good budget, you can rent or buy an office. If not, meet the clients at your home or coffee shops.
10. Build-up relationships with contractors and suppliers
The smartest thing to do when you start an interior design business is to build up good contacts with suppliers and contractors. Just build connections with reliable people to make savings.
For interior design business you need to build relations with:
• Cabinet suppliers
• Suppliers etc.
The more connections you have, the more contacts you made makes you more profitable in this industry.
Before starting interior design business don’t forget to have a research about your competitors. Just be smart to stand out in this highly competitive market. Hope this article somewhere helps you as a guideline.